On Baishak 12, 2072 (April 25, 2015), Nepal was hit with a 7.8 magnitude earthquake with its epicenter in the Gorkha district. This earthquake rendered many people homeless, destroyed several historical monuments and necessary infrastructure while killing thousands of people. The most affected areas included Gorkha, Sindhupalchowk, Kathmandu, Bhaktapur, Lalitpur along with the mountainous Langtang and Everest region. Baishak 12 is now considered a Black Day in Nepal.
Although the earthquake has left us with horrific memories and fear, it has taught us that Wealth is not higher than in Life.
- It brought the inhabitants of both the mansions and the sheds together in one place.
- Race and religion were proven wrong.
- It increased affinity among neighbors and neighborhoods.
- It showed the character of our close relatives.
- It taught Nepali to unite.
- It gathered sympathy and support from foreigners and Nepalese from all around the world.
- It has familiarized Nepal to the world.
- It encouraged large and powerful nations of the world to support us in the construction.
- Leaders and parties were forced to come together.
- It provided an excellent opportunity for the construction of the new Nepal.
- It brought together families who hadn’t met in a long while.
- It provided the opportunity for the people to return to their villages.
- It gave leaders and activists the opportunity to serve the people.
- Those who always stay busy for a long time got a chance to be with their families.
- Proximity was promoted among the public and security.
- It compelled the Government to take responsibilities.