3rd October 2020, Kathmandu
Women Leaders in Technology [WLiT] is a non-governmental organization working towards inspiring and empowering women in the field of Information and communication technology in Nepal. With the motto of Inspire, Educate, Empower, and Mentor, WLiT has come up with a fellowship program for the year 2020-21.
Now, let’s know this organization better.
What are Women Leaders in Technology?
WLiT is a non-governmental organization that started its initiative with a strong belief that women can and should hold the leadership and decision-making positions in the technology field which is quite lacking when it comes to our society. They have been working tirelessly in ensuring that they fulfill their motto ‘Inspire. Empower. Educate. Mentor.’ We can clearly see the good intentions behind this organization through the motto the organization stands by.
Women Leaders in Technology mainly has two broad visions:
- Firstly, To reduce the gender gap in the technology field by encouraging young women to pursue careers in the field.
- Secondly, To enable them in becoming innovators and leaders, creating a new cycle of mentors and role models for all coming generations to follow.
WLiT has been conducting fellowships for five years ago. According to the organization, 54 young women have graduated from the program. Among them, 43 of them are working in the workforce and the remaining are contributing their best remaining in the tech domain. This proves that the fellowship program has been a successful one. The girls who attend the program have been working as board members, mentors, volunteers, and staff in the program again.
WLiT Fellowship 2020-21:
How does the fellowship work?
The fellowship provided by WLiT is 9 months long. During this period, the organization aims to empower and inspire future women leaders in the IT field in Nepal.
- Then, the program will officially head towards the 9 months long session which includes training, mentorships, and internships in some reputable IT companies in Nepal.
Who is eligible for this fellowship?
- Should be a university student who identifies themselves as women. She must be enrolled in any It related faculty ( BIT, Bsc.CSIT, BIM, Engineering, etc.) in Nepal.
- Passionate about growing to take leadership positions in the tech workforce
- Committed to attending most if not all programs and opportunities presented by WLiT during the fellowship term
- Able to attend the two-week online Bootcamp
- Able to commit 1-3 months of the internship program in companies as placed by WLiT
Deadline: 14th October 2020
Fees: NRs. 3500/- (Scholarships available for on need basis)
Registration Link: Click here.
Timeline for Bootcamp: Oct 28 to Nov 12 with Mondays off. 2 hours of the live session and 2-5 hours of pre-reading/assignment every day.
Meanwhile, WLiT supports caste/class diversity. This program gives priority to the participants from minority and non-mainstream backgrounds. Similarly, the fellowship is more inclined to the students in 2nd or 3rd second, or third year of their undergrad studies.
However, the fellowship program will be virtual this year considering the Covid19 situation. If the situation loosens in the future, physical meet-ups can be done.
For further details, visit the WLiT website by clicking here.
So, hurry up girls! Go ahead and grab this amazing opportunity! This could prove to be one of your stepping stones in your career.
Meanwhile, let us know your opinions in the comments below. Are these fellowships the best way to empower the girls in technology fields or do you have any other ideas?