Possible is seeking an entrepreneurial Lead Java Developer to further develop our integrated Electronic Health Records (EHR) product, first of its kind in Nepal and currently deployed in two districts, for potential nationwide scale-up to strengthen the public healthcare system. Applications are being accepted on an immediate, rolling basis.
The organization: Possible
Possible is a nonprofit healthcare company that delivers high-quality, low-cost healthcare to the world’s poor. We are pioneering a new approach, called durable health care that brings together the best of private, public, and philanthropic models. Since 2008, Possible has treated over 500,000 patients in rural Nepal through government hospitals, clinics, community health workers, and a referral network. The electronic health record we have deployed to improve care delivery is Nepal’s first integrated, public sector EHR. Learn more about our culture and work in this feature from First Round Capital entitled “This Culture Deck Powers the World’s Toughest Work.”
The opportunity: Are you the right fit?
We are looking for an entrepreneurial leader who will champion our belief that we solve for the patient by ensuring quality health care is accessible for our patients. Strong preference will be given to those who can prove they can operate in fast-growth environments with limited resources. Most importantly, your orientation toward the work should match well with our operating values, captured by our For-Impact Culture Code. Lastly, you’re a believer, not an employee. And you’re looking for an opportunity to use your time and energy to transform an early stage organization and impact hundreds of thousands of lives
1. Extensive experience developing Java-based applications, with the technical skills listed below
Java (Highly proficient)
Sprint MVC, Hibernate, Maven
Linux commands, vagrant/virtual box
ReactJS and/or AngularJS
Web Services (REST/SOAP)
2. Experience working with enterprise distributed applications
3. Experience working in an agile development environment
4. Track record of reliable and quality work
5. Self-starter, with a passion and ability to learn quickly
6. Ability to work well with other team members
7. Excellent time-management skill, and ability to perform under pressure
8. Excellent communication skills
9. Understanding of, and commitment to, Possible’s work culture and mission
Other technical skills gave preference:
Familiarity with AWS and S3
Groovy, Docker, Test Automation tools
Web application security (Experience with certificates and SSL + HTTPS)
CI/CD tools such as GoCD, Jenkins, etc.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Background or Experience in computer science; Computer software/computer systems engineering; Information Technology; or a related field.
- Multiple years of experience working on Java-based applications
Reports to: TBD
Direct Reports: Developers
Big 3 Responsibilities:
- Design and develop applications and integration across diverse systems for the integrated Electronic Health Records (EHR) platform
- Lead the core development team, and provide technical support to the EHR implementation and support teams
- Take ownership of the integrated EHR product, and provide strategic technical guidance
Areas of Responsibility (AoR)
The Lead Java Developer will work closely with our EHR team and be chiefly responsible for the following work:
1. Design and develop applications and integration across diverse systems for the integrated Electronic Health Records (EHR) platform
- Lead agile development cycles to ensure timely delivery of product per functional and non-functional requirements through to implementation
- Further develop integration between diverse systems like OpenMRS, OpenELIS, OpenERP, DCM4Che, CommCare, and DHIS2
- Ensure usability is at the forefront of all designs
- Ensure that the technical infrastructure, applications and data storage follow global healthcare industry standards in terms of security and privacy
- Ensure the team is not working in silo by regularly communicating with the Bahmni and OpenMRS communities to advance the Bahmni product
- Regularly communicate progress and setbacks to manager
2. Lead the core development team, and provide technical support to the EHR implementation and support teams
- Set the core development team up for success with well-designed workplace and regular follow-up through daily stand-up meetings
- Ensure the core development team functions as one cohesive unit
- Provide technical support and guidance to the EHR implementation and support teams based at the implementation sites
- Code, and conduct code reviews
- Lead the hiring of new core development team members
3. Take ownership of the integrated EHR product, and provide strategic technical guidance
- Help with strategic direction of the integrated EHR product
- Provide technical input when needed, effectively communicating technical concepts to non-technical team members
- Communicate and collaborate with the global Bahmni coalition
- Provide cost and time estimation for external requirements
The above list of responsibilities is not comprehensive, and the LJD may be required to take on additional responsibilities.
Please click “Apply for this Job”, follow the prompts, and supply all required information.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.