Fifteen candidates have submitted their application for the vacant post of NTA’s chief.
Recently the government has started a process to appoint the chairperson of the country’s telecommunications regulatory body, Nepal Telecommunications Authority, through an open competition.
The committee which was formed to select the NTA’s chief informed, it will take a week to assign the new manager. Once the evaluation process of educational qualification and working experience of the candidates will be completed, the new chief will come in operation.
Earlier, the government would make a political appointment for the position. The government is planning to announce the minimum criteria for NTA’s Chief.
Though several attempts were made to select the new chief, the Government could not appoint any manager for NTA till now. The vacant post of chairman has halted numbers of NTA’s important project.
The lists of the candidates vying for the vacant post of NTA’s chief are as mentioned below:
- Digambar Jha, Former chair of NTA
- Ananda Raj Khanal and Purshotam Khanal, Senior Director of NTA
- Chandramani Chaulagain, Member of NTA Committee
- Buddhi Prasad Acharya and Dev Narayan Yadav, Former Spokesperson of Nepal Telecom (NTC)
- Rabindra Jha, Shiva Bhushan Lal, Madhu Sudhan Karmacharya and Khadag
Basnet, Former official of NTC
- Ujwal Pradhananga, ICT expert at UNICEF
- Bhupendra Bhandari, Official of Smart mobile
- Rohit Rauniyar, Sales Director at Ncell
The post is vacant after the government decided to scrap all political appointments made by Sher Bahadur Deuba-led government after August 30 last year citing they were against the election code of conduct which was in effect then.
The Ministry has now formed a committee under the leadership of its Secretary Mahendra Man Gurung to carry out the appointment process. The committee will select three best candidates and recommend their names to the Council of Ministers for the final decision.
Here are the Qualifications and experience for the NTA chief.
- Nepalese National
- Age: 30 to 65
- Educational Qualifications and Experience: Bachelors degree from the academic institution, and ten years of experience in the respective sector
- Work Experience: 10 years of work experience in any Government service or corporations, regulators, departments or public company, in the position of First grade or Tenth level or above.
- Not legally charged to be unfit for the position